Home About Best Of The List Sponsor/PR Contact Image Map

The light at the end of the tunnel

02 October 2013

You ever have those moments when it seems like everything is going wrong? You know, like one crummy thing after another happens, and just when you feel like throwing your arms up and waving your white flag to surrender, a light appears at the end of the tunnel.

I recently found myself in this type of situation. I made the decision to move to Toronto over a year ago, and made sure all of my ducks were in a row before I did make the big move. I made sure to save money for school, and even line up a really great job to start as soon as I moved. I was really good paying, and it was in my career field (booyah!). Once I moved though, things just didn't work out how I had planned. I know, nothing really ever works out as planned, but this felt almost like a metaphorical bird crapped on my head. I moved and my great job I lined up was really behind with the HR stuff so I was unable to start until God-knows-when. I had spent all of my savings on my classes for school (which thankfully is super awesome and I love it), so I was broke in a new city, with no job, and no friends (yet). I quickly went out and found a temporary job to tide me over until the good job pulled through, and it seemed like it would be a really neat opportunity. A clothing store with a phenomenal discount to buy professional clothes for my other job, and it seemed like it would also be a fun place to work. Wrong. Not only did all the employees speak to me rudely and condescending, after working there for two weeks, the manager told me I needed to be branded in all their clothes by now and should be buying a new wardrobe (I had yet to be paid, so I'm sure she was asking me to harvest all the dollars off of my money tree to buy the wardrobe). No fun at all.

I'm going to keep it real with you guys, I had a moment when I thought this was all a mistake and should never have moved here. I cried and ate Nutella out of a jar and watched 13 Going on 30 and cried some more. I felt low. Real low.

Cue the light at the end of the tunnel.

I had applied to another job in the middle of the summer to a popular book store here in Canada. I had previously spent five years there before and loved working there. Since I had applied back in the summer, I figured they didn't need me and completely forgot all about it. Then I get an email over the weekend asking if I'd like to come in for an interview, to which I happily obliged, I mean, it couldn't have come at a better time! I went in yesterday for my interview and then headed to work at the dreadful job. It was even worse than before. More mean girls, and being new, I asked a lot of questions to which I was met with condescending answers. I mean, how do these people still work here?

I got home, ready to cry again, so I curled up into bed to check what wonderful emails you readers have sent me, and then I see something amazing. The hiring manager emailed me offering me the position. Already. Yay!

It's a small victory, but it's a light at the end of the tunnel, and gives me enough hope to cling on to. Toronto is good. I'm doing the right thing. Everything is going to be alright.

Have a great Wednesday, folks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Odd One Out

2 comments :

  1. So glad to hear things are working out. I am really struggling with my work at the moment too. I was promised a raise on July 1 which I still haven't seen. I have spoken up but it makes me wonder where my employers priorities are and if they care about me at all. Best of luck to you with the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear about it girl . I am looking for light in tunnel too , I hope it would be better all along :) Go on and achieve that job , you can do DA BEST!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...