Home About Best Of The List Sponsor/PR Contact Image Map

Les Miserables Review

18 January 2013



As a literature junkie, I am well-versed in Victor Hugo's novel,  Les Miserables and have also had a good listen to the 20th edition of the Broadway musical. As a result, I had high expectations for this movie (both because I already enjoy the story, and because it was nominated for Best Picture). I have to say, it didn't disappoint.

Not only were all of the actors in the ensemble cast very talented singers, but they sang each scene LIVE. Which I thought was incredible! Singing live brought so much more emotion, and stayed true to it's broadway-style genesis. Anne Hathaway singing "On My Own" with so much vulnerability and emotion really reeled me in. It was heartbreaking and beautiful all at the same time! Not to mention how big of a blubbering bafoon I was when (spoiler alert) she died.

And that little girl who played young Cosette? Holy smokes she was good! Her and the little boy who played Gavroche were cast so well! I loved them.

I wasn't a huge fan of Russell Crowe's or Eddie Redmayne's singing, but they certainly did bring a great mix into the ensemble cast, who were AMAZING. When they sang "Do you hear the people sing" it was so marvellously done, I had chills!

Other notes:

- Thenardier and Madame Thenardier were simply evil, and I loved it! Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter are such great villains!
- The harmony between Cosette, Eponine and Marius during "In My Life/ A Heart Full of Love" was remarkable!
- "You're here, that's all I need to know. And you will keep me safe. And you will keep me close. And rain will make the flowers grow." Simply beautiful.
- Eddie Redmayne singing "Empty Chairs and Empty Tables" = COMPLETE water-works.
- "To love another person is to see the face of God". Wow.

It's a long movie, but well worth it. If you're not into musicals, this probably isn't going to be your cup of tea, but if you enjoy a could tear-jerking sing-fest, definitely go see this movie!

1 comment :

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...